If you have experienced a loss, it is important to follow these steps to help minimize damage to ensure your claims process runs smoothly.
Step 1. Report your claim as soon as possible
No matter what kind of claim you are reporting, contact your broker. Your broker can look after claims details for you.
For emergencies after hours, contact our 24-hour emergency service phone numbers.
British Columbia — 855.535.0554
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario — 877.896.0113
Step 2. Notify the authorities
If there is a fire, theft, vandalism, robbery, or malicious act, you will need to
- Report to the authorities or police
- Notify banks and credit card companies about any stolen debit or credit cards
Step 3. Protect your property from further damage
Even before you know your loss is covered, you should take immediate action to protect your property and prevent further damage where safe to do so.
- Shut off your water supply and contact a plumber if necessary. Remove any excess water.
- Secure broken windows, doors and openings in the roof and walls of the home.
- Separate and remove undamaged contents from affected areas. Do not dispose of anything, including damaged building materials, plumbing fixtures and appliances until you have spoken with your adjuster.
Step 4. Document your Loss
- Take photos and list details of damaged items.
- Do not dispose of any contents, appliances, building materials or plumbing fixtures.
- Keep accurate records of time spent repairing or cleaning items.
- Gather proof of ownership which can include original purchase receipts, bills, appraisals, warranty and manual information, or photographs.
- Save receipts for any expenses you incur because of your claim (hotel and meal expenses, replaced contents, lost rent).