Male Business Owner Claims Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

Navigating the claims process can be stressful when you have experienced a loss. Mutual Fire Insurance and our team of brokers, independent adjusters, and contractors are here to help you return to normal as quickly as possible. Common questions and concerns are listed below.

What is my role in the claims process?

You are required to report the claim as soon as possible and provide details about your loss and required documents. You also authorize a chosen contractor to initiate emergency restoration and repairs. Click here for what to do if loss occurs.

How long does the whole process take?

We strive to process your claim as quickly as possible. Depending on the kind of loss, extent of damage, availability of local contractors and other factors such as catastrophic events, the length of time will vary. You can help by providing information requested from you as soon as possible.

What is my Insurance Broker’s role?

Your broker is your initial point of contact. They know you and your policy and can answer your questions, provide direction for your claim, and represent you.

What is the role of Mutual Fire Insurance?

We will open your claim, appoint an independent adjuster (if required), confirm coverage, oversee settlement, and issue payment. Some claims are handled by our in-house adjusters. Learn more about the Claims Process here.

What is the Independent Adjuster’s role?

The role of the Independent Adjuster is to gather information about the loss, help facilitate the repair process, and make recommendations to Mutual Fire Insurance for settlement. An adjuster is obligated to make full disclosure to you in regards to the coverage available.

What is the contractor’s role?

The contractor provides emergency restoration to your property and contents, a scope of work, and estimate for repairs. The contractor may attend at the request of your broker or adjuster, however any work must be authorized by you, the homeowner.

What is Replacement Cost?

Replacement cost is the cost at the time of the loss or repairs or replacement (whichever is lower), with new property of similar kind and quality and usefulness.

What is Actual Cash Value?

Actual Cash Value is the cost of replacing damaged or destroyed property with property of similar kind and quality and usefulness, minus depreciation. In calculating depreciation, factors such as the condition and age of the item, its resale value and normal life expectancy are taken into consideration. Some policies only provide Actual Cash Value settlements and this will be noted in your policy.

What is the replacement process?

To receive full replacement cost for lost, stolen or damaged property, you must first replace items with ones of similar kind and quality and usefulness. Submit replacement invoices to your adjuster. If you choose not to replace an item, Actual Cash Value will be paid.

Should I report a theft or burglary to the authorities?

Yes. This is a requirement of your policy conditions.

How do I document all my items? What if the item was a gift?

We ask that you provide us with as much documentation and proof of ownership as possible. Proof of purchase can include original purchase receipts, invoices, bills, appraisals, warranty and manual information, and photographs. We recognize that certain items will be harder to verify than other items, and we will take that into consideration.

Is there a time limit on my claim?

Your claim should be reported by you within a reasonable amount of time. Legally, your claim will be statute barred two (2) years from the date of loss. We can confirm the recorded date for you.

Who should perform emergency services?

Only a qualified restoration contractor trained and certified in fire, smoke and flood damage restoration should perform emergency services.

What is the Contract of Repair?

The Contract of Repair is between the contractor and the policyholder. This means areas concerning workmanship are issues between the policyholder and the contractor.

How does mold growth occur in water damage claims?

Mold will grow when there is moisture and nutrients. Moisture accumulates within the home when there is not enough ventilation to expel that moisture. Prompt action in controlling the amount of moisture in your home following a water damage loss through the emergency drying process will prevent mold growth. If mold does grow as a direct result of an insured loss, then your policy will respond to the removal of the mold.